Life of a Kept Woman

I want to chronicle this particular niche - a woman being well cared for by a man for no other reason than it fulfills them both.

Name:
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California, United States

In 2001, I stopped working and focused on having the most pleasurable and fulfilling life possible. Today, I have succeeded my wildest expectations. A “kept woman” is a woman who is being supported comfortably by a man for reasons having nothing to do with marriage, children, or sex. We are intelligent women, who know there is more to life than proving yet again we can do it just as well as men. We are choosing lives of comfort and service, but only to the extent that it pleases us. The men who support us do so because they see it as their best move for a rich life with a partner who can create a lifestyle based on having the best of what life has to offer for them both. The best is everything from cocktails at sunset to cycling together mid-day to serving the poor.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Epiphany

A couple days ago, I was talking to George in our kitchen. He was trying to pull me out of my funk. As a clairvoyant student, you go through these "growth periods" as your physicality catches up with the huge changes in your psyche, that result from when you clear out emotional, spiritual, and physical debri. I sat there watching him, with a slight detachment, churn through his usual litany of stuff to make me feel better - "we just have to do this . . . or do that . . . or try this . . . ". In the middle of it, he said something surprisingly true. "For reasons that escape me, people [that we've met recently] don't seem to like us."

Before I knew it, these were rolling out of my mouth, "People don't like us because we're arrogant snobs who don't care anything about them."

This truth has been knocking around inside of me every since.

JFK said, "For of those to whom much is given, much is required." We have been holding ourselves a little apart and a lot superior because we believe our training and experience with sensuality and relationships makes us better somehow. We built a grand fairy castle that almost no one can enter, and we have been unable to escape. Instead of generously sharing with respect and caring, and allowing ourselves to be enriched by the people we come across; we come across like we have the answers and are disdainful of others who think their answers are as good or better than ours. It is the height of petty small-minded insecurity.

" . . . much is required." I've been reading Queen Noor's autobiography. George dismissed her for having anything worthy to say given her life of privilege. As I read her story, though, all I'm getting is her incredible life of service and her singular desire to use the resources at her disposal to create a world of peace. Perhaps this has also added to my funk, the discrepancy between what motivates me versus what motivates her. I want to be a better person. I want to use my resources to make someone's life better. I want people to have a reason to feel even better about themselves while in our presence. I want everyone who comes in contact with us to know they are fine just the way they are.

When I was in graduate school and in the midst of deep personal transformation and poverty, I had a quote on the wall next to my PC that said, "You're doing fine. Keep going." It never failed to warm me because it declared that no matter what was going on in that moment, it was perfect; that no matter how badly I thought I was screwing up, I was doing the best I knew how to do in that moment; and for that matter, so was everyone else.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for posting "epiphany". It has helped to clarifly some obstacles that i'm having in my own life. I stumbled across your blog while looking at your live/work situation. My profile is ddhiartma. thanks agaub

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Metta said...

"You're doing fine. Keep going."

This is one of the best bits of advice (and morale support) I've ever heard. Thanks so much for sharing!

Funny thing is I also just came across this sweet "chill out" song by zefrank which shares much the same sentiment:

Hey, you're ok.
You'll be fine.
Just breathe.

http://www.zefrank.com/chillout/
http://zefrank.bandcamp.com/track/chillout

Enjoy! :-D

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home